We all need rest to feel our best. Our cats are no different – rest is essential to their health, even it seems like they sleep all day (which, admittedly, they sometimes do).
Choosing the right cat bed for your favorite feline is critical because she will spend a lot of time there, just as we spend time in ours.
You want the bed to be as comfortable and relaxing as possible and to suit both your household needs and her sleepy time needs.
But with so many on the market, it can be tough. That’s why we looked at a TON of them and broke it down to give you the best of the best with ratings and reviews.
The Best Cat Beds In Each Style
Our review process is unbiased and based on extensive research. If you buy through the links on our site, we may earn a commission.
- Durable, removable cover
- Simple, no-tool installation
- Easily mounts onto window
- Multiple hide-and-seek cut-outs
- Plush hanging toys
- Interior hide-away with large, easy-access opening
- Soft micro fleece bed
- Dual thermostat 4-watt heating unit
- Removable cover that’s machine washable
- Memory foam base with medium firmness
- Waterproof liner
- Durable cotton and polyester twill cover
- Raised roomy cat bed
- Modern design
- Plush, machine-washable cushion
- Two exits with removable door flaps
- Includes heated bed
- Water-resistant shelter
- Self-warming material
- Machine-washable cushion
- Easily Transportable
- Self-warming sherpa fleece
- Contemporary style
- Removable cover for cleaning
What To Look For In A Cat Bed
Here are some things to look for:
- Size: Make sure the bed is the right size for your pet to move around. Even if she’s a kitten and the bed suits her well now, she will eventually grow and need more space. Make sure you don’t get a bed that’s too large either, since they like to feel cozy. Be sure to weigh and measure your pet before bed shopping.
- Placement: Where will the bed go? This may influence the size and style you choose. Make sure you choose a color that you like, since it’ll probably be out in the open – you may want the cat bed to match your décor.
- Features: Does your pet have joint issues such as arthritis? You may want something with thick padding or memory foam. Some beds are heated which is useful for pets that chill easily or if you keep your home on the cool side. Heat may also be beneficial for arthritis.
- Comfort: If the bed is not comfortable enough, your little darling will choose somewhere else to sleep and probably somewhere you would rather she didn’t choose, like your bed or other tempting places like on top of clothes or furniture. She like to sleep on something, right? She also like to feel safe and secure, so high-up and den-like beds may be appealing to her.
- Cleaning Methods: Some beds have removable covers that allow you to wash the areas where buildup could accumulate. Your cat bed will get dirty, so it will either need to be washed or replaced over time. Machine washable covers are a handy feature to keep the bed clean.
Choosing A Location For Your Cat Bed
As mentioned above, deciding where you are going to place it before purchasing is essential. You’ll need a clean, quiet, and relaxing place for optimal sleep. Temperature is also important – make sure it is not too cold in the winter or warm in the summer.
You may need to experiment with locations, especially if it seems that your first placement isn’t being utilized. This will help you determine which place your cat likes best. It’s best to start with a spot she already chooses to sleep, if possible.
Getting Your Cat To Sleep In Its Bed
You buy a bed and want to make sure your cat sleeps in it, right?
While some people absolutely love having their kittens snuggle up to them while they sleep, others need to be fully uninterrupted throughout the night to get a good sleep. For you, it’s probably important that the bed you just bought is actually getting used.
Put the bed in your cat’s favorite spot or where she already sleeps. Leave some treats in her bed or spray a small amount of catnip in her bed to entice her. Put your cat’s toy in the bed too.
Ready to look for a bed? There are so many choices! We are here to help. We have broken it down into different categories to help you choose what works best for your cat.
Top 3 Best Overall Cat Bed Picks For Large, Small, Seniors, and Kittens
Here are our ratings and reviews of the top 3 best cat beds.
Oster Sunny Seat Window-Mounted Cat Bed
- Great for cats that like sunny spots or enjoy being at a window
- Mounts to window with industrial strength suction cups – No tools necessary
- Removable washable cover
Does your cat always look for a sunny spot to lay in or likes to watch out the window? This bed helps her lay comfortably and do just that. She’ll truly have a front-seat view of nature. Another great feature? It doesn’t take up room in your home!
The industrial strength suction cups stick directly to your window and hold up to 50 pounds. So it is nice and sturdy, which, let’s be honest, is probably the first thing you’re worried about with this pick. Thankfully, it stands the test of time when being jumped into over and over again!
The cover is also removable and washable for added freshness and cleanliness.
The high vantage point will have your sweetie purring contentedly as she looks down on all of the mere mortals who live on a level below her.
You need a window at least 22 inches wide and 24 inches high, so keep that in mind. And if you’re worried about the suction cups not sticking, like I said, they’re actually really high quality, but when installing, just make sure to clean them, and your windows, before sticking them up there. And test the load-bearing capacity by pushing down a bit with your hand first.
You may not have a window this will work on, or you may hate the idea altogether, as it might jut out into your room too much. So, it may not work for small spaces or places with minimal windows.
But, even though it’s super unique, it comes in among the top 3 best beds we looked at, and the cats LOVE it!
MidWest Homes Curious Cat Cube
- For lounge and play
- Sheepskin-lined upper bed
- Multiple hide-and-seek cutouts
- Plush hanging toys for enrichment
This bed gives a sleepy kitty some options. They can sleep on the top or inside the den. They can also choose to play with the attached ball that jingles. Plus, there are hide-and-seek cutouts for play.
The cube is easy to assemble and can fold down easily for transportation or storage. Cats can easily fit through the large hole and curl up for a nap in the cozy habitat.
It’s fairly attractive compared to many options, and at the very least, it’s neutral enough to blend in with most homes’ decor without looking TOO much like a straight-up cat bed sitting in the middle of the room.
It might be too big and tall if you don’t want something to mess up your aesthetic, but from a cat’s point of view, it’s a hit!
BONUS Bed Categories
We have chosen the best bed in the categories below if you are looking for a more specialized pick and our top 3 reviewed above don’t quite do it for you. You’ll find everything from electric beds to luxury options below.
Best Electric Cat Bed
K&H Thermo-Kitty Heated Cat Mat
- Soft micro fleece
- Warms to your cat’s body temperature when they lie down
- Available in blue or mocha colors
Looking to keep your cat warm? This unit will help increase your pet’s normal body temperature when in use.
Heated beds are good for cats who are often chilly, or if your home is cooler due to the winter months, or perhaps being in the basement on a concrete floor foundation.
It also happens to be a really nice pain reliever for senior cats with arthritis and bad joints.
It only uses 4 watts and is UL Listed, meaning it’s actually safe and, as a bonus, energy-efficient.
While this is definitely not for everyone, it’s a cool idea to add a bit of warmth to your home.
Best Luxury Cat Bed
PetFusion Ultimate Lounge with Memory Foam
- 4 inch memory foam for optimal comfort
- Outer cover is machine washable
- Base has waterproof liner to protect flooring
- 4 sizes to choose from
- 2 colors to choose from: Grey or Brown
Do you like to spoil your cat? Give him the touch of luxury and comfort in this beautiful memory foam sofa bed.
This bed will make your cat think he’s royalty (and really, isn’t he??).
It looks and feels just like the full-size version of the couch, which anyone would be happy to have in their home.
Not only that, but this fits a wide range of cats, from tiny kittens to 25+ pound big guys.
Not bad for a cat bed, right? Give your precious pal the luxury he deserves and he’ll love you forever!
Best Unique Cat Bed
Refined Feline Kitty Ball Bed
- Faux rattan
- Plush, machine-washable cushion
- Durable construction
- Two – positioned top – “Bowl up” or “Bowl to the side”
Looking for a unique cat bed that is one-of-a-kind? Check out this rattan bed!
Made from durable, non-toxic poly rattan, your cat will lounge in style with this attractive and unique bed.
It includes a soft machine washable cushion inside the 17” dome for easy-to-clean comfort all day and night. It’s raised off the ground, giving any feline a bit of comfort, but it’s still easy to get into.
For an option that looks way cool and is totally unique, this covers a lot of the necessities for a good sleepy spot.
Best Outdoor Cat Bed
K&H Manufacturing Outdoor Kitty House
- Great for barns or garages
- Dual exit
- Heated Bed
- Water Resistant
- Many colors and outdoorsy design prints to choose from
- Easy assembly – No tools necessary
Have an outdoor cat or one that just enjoys sleeping outdoors? Protect her from the outdoor elements in this kitty house. It is waterproof so can be used anywhere outside.
There are two entrances so that it won’t freak kitty out, and she won’t get trapped for any reason.
Multiple design and color options include olive, red, gray, camo, barn, cottage, and log cabin.
Can you imagine? A heated outdoor pad for your precious pet to chill out in? Amazing what the world has to offer these days.
The interior of the heated version features a removable, state-of-the-art K&H Lectro-Soft bed. It’s thermo-controlled and made from ortho-foam. It even includes a washable fleece cover that is cozy and easy to remove for washing.
The outdoor option is easy to assemble and requires no tools, so you can have an awesome outside place without building one yourself!
Best Cheap Cat Bed
Frisco Novelty Unicorn Covered Cat & Dog Bed
- Soft material and padding
- Cave-style entrance
- Transportable by removing the cushion and flattening
Perhaps the most ridiculous (and hilarious) cat bed you’ll find, it is super cheap compared to most others.
And what’s not to love?
It’s a freaking unicorn with an open mouth, where your cat will sleep. Talk about easy Facebook likes when you post a picture of kitty sleeping in this thing!
It’s even got a removable cushion and flattens for easy transport. Surprising that it’s got any features considering the low price, so that’s a bonus!
Best Modern Cat Bed
Hepper Pod Cat Bed
- Self-warming Sherpa fleece
- Sturdy and secure
- Modern contemporary styling
This high-quality and sturdy cat bed is designed to stay stable while your cat naps peacefully. It is stylish and hip, and the modern design should find itself well matched for any quality interior space.
Cleaning is simple, thank goodness. It can be vacuumed or spot cleaned with a damp towel. The liner (made of Sherpa fleece for comfort) is also reversible and can be machine washed.
This bed sits off of the floor to give a high vantage point. The top is also removable should you need to take it off or prefer it that way.
This design is extremely modern and will surely appeal to the eye.