The Best Cat Litter – Reviews and Ratings To Keep Your Kitty Happy & Healthy
Our cats are members of our families. We pamper them senseless, don’t we? Their happiness and health matter to us, as it should.
With you and your cat in mind, this post will be focusing on the very best cat litter brands for your cat’s health, safety, comfort, and overall well-being.
Choosing the right kitty litter for you and your cat can be overwhelming. When our pets aren’t happy, we will know it!
The importance of preventing bathroom accidents from ever happening in your home with a litter both you and your kitty will love is our ultimate goal.
That’s why we have broken down each category, listed its pros and cons, and simplified the decision making process with facts you can rely on.
- 1 Quick-Find Best-In-Class Table
- 2 No Such Thing As “One Size Fits All” Cat Litter
- 3 The 3 Main Types of Cat Litter
- 4 How Did We Choose The Best Cat Litters?
- 5 Reviews Of The Best Cat Litter: Our Complete Buying Guide
- 6 Things To Consider When Purchasing Litter
- 7 Importance of Litter Box Maintenance
- 8 Some Other Great Options…
- 9 Nearly Endless Options!
Quick-Find Best-In-Class Table
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
|VIEW BEST PRICE|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
|VIEW LATEST PRICE|
|VIEW BEST PRICE|
No Such Thing As “One Size Fits All” Cat Litter
You know as a cat parent, there is no such thing as a “one size fits all” litter.
What makes my cat thrilled could make yours give you “the look.” You know the look. The one that clearly says, “This does not meet my standards!”
We here at Catological understand and are here for you and your feline family.
We’ve done all the research, sifted through the competition and come up with the options that will provide you and your pet with a win-win.
The 3 Main Types of Cat Litter
Traditional clay litter was formulated out of a need to replace sand as the primary litter used. Since sand was unable to control odors, this was a major concern for pet parents.
Clay, unlike sand, is highly absorbent and excels at neutralizing odors.
Currently there are 2 main types of clay-based litters. These are:
Traditional Non-Clumping Clay:
Arguably the oldest choice in the marketplace today, this litter is highly affordable and easily accessible. Most stores carry some type of traditional clay litter.
Calcium bentonite is the primary active ingredient. These clay pellets make for a soft cat litter that felines tend to love because it closely replicates their natural environment.
Scoopable clay litter is the most common type of litter. Most stores carry some variety of this litter, making it very easy to find.
Without question, the biggest advantage of clumping/scoopable litter is convenience. Your life is busy and easy litter box clean-up helps a lot!
Clumping clay litter forms solid clumps of waste that are easily lifted out of the box with a scoop. Only removing the dirty litter means you leave the clean behind, saving you both money and time.
Made from sodium bentonite, clumping kitty litter can absorb 15 times its weight in liquid. This also means you don’t have a sticky mess on the bottom of your box to clean up because it will trap liquids almost immediately.
Scoopable clay litter is also superior at controlling odors even when perfumes are not added. The clumping action seals in urine smells before they destroy the ambience in your home. Hooray for that!
2. Crystals/Silica Gel
As a non clay cat litter, this option is great for people (and cats) who need a nearly dust-free option.
Silica gel is also considered an antibacterial cat litter because mold and other bacteria have a difficult time growing in this environment.
Crystals can absorb up to an impressive 40 times their weight in liquid.
Crystal cat litter does tend to be more expensive when doing cat litter comparisons. However, on average, much less is used vs clay based litter.
Crystals may be one of the most budget friendly options. In single pet homes, with proper cleaning, one bag of this litter may last an entire month. Crystals dehydrate solids and absorb the liquids.
One of the biggest disadvantages is the size of the crystals. Some cats do not like the way this product feels on their paws and will refuse to use their litter box.
3. Others (Novelty)
In recent years, the demand for earth friendly, organic and biodegradable litter has skyrocketed!
If you as a cat parent prefer litters that can be flushed or washed and reused, there are some great options for you now on the market.
Corn, coconut, grass seed, recycled paper, pine and wood pellets are all examples of alternative litters gaining popularity.
By far the greatest advantage of using a natural litter are the health benefits to you, your cat and the environment. These choices tend to be free of harsh chemicals, additives or other allergy inducing ingredients.
Some of the natural litters, however, are still in improvement phases. Important qualities like odor control and low tracking through your home could still be lacking. I wouldn’t rule these options out, though. The progress is very promising!
How Did We Choose The Best Cat Litters?
As cat parents ourselves, we sought to answer some key questions about the most critical qualities in litter.
One of the greatest challenges we face is keeping our homes smelling fresh!
Even when we are cleaning our cat’s box regularly… sometimes smells just happen.
That’s why one of the key qualities we considered is how well each litter controls the toughest of odors.
The health and well-being of you and your kitty matters to us.
Each litter pick listed needed to be free from irritants of all kinds.
There is no reason you or your cat should be experiencing respiratory distress after coming in contact with the litter box.
Plumes of kitty litter dust is not only dangerous for you and your feline, but it’s messy!
Our selections needed to create as little dust as possible while filling the litter box, or when kitty goes digging for some kitty business.
Kitty litter should stay where it belongs…in the litter box!
The search was on for litter that wouldn’t leave your freshly cleaned floor looking like the super kitty highway. It’s annoying to have to vacuum up litter all the time!
Even the best cat litter is no good if it’s not affordable!
We searched for options that are healthy for your wallet and your cat!
Many people and cats have sensitive sniffers.
While some fragrance is natural and complementary, others are too heavy and offensive.
It was important that these litters be both effective at odor control and not overwhelmingly scented.
Scoopability/Ease of Clean-up
Lets face it… sometimes scooping a litter box is one messy job!
When the litter isn’t clumping well or has congealed in places it shouldn’t – what a nightmare!
Our aim was to save you time (and money) by recommending litter that clumps well, stays solid, and can be easily disposed of.
Without further ado, here is our list for the best of the best cat litters in 2019!
Reviews Of The Best Cat Litter: Our Complete Buying Guide
Dr. Bruce Elsey, the creator of this product, is a feline only veterinarian whose passion is the health and happiness of our cat companions. With this Ultra Clumping litter, Dr. Elsey achieves just that – making this a top rated cat litter for several years in a row.
You’ll love the simplicity of this litter. It’s all natural, hypoallergenic and unscented. Made from 100% pure clay, there are no chemicals, scents or plant based ingredients to harm you or your pet. Much to love, nothing to hate!
99.9% Dust Free & Low Tracking means this litter stays in the box where it belongs! Their unique heavy granule design stops tracking in its tracks! No more paw prints all over your freshly cleaned floor!
Easy, faster clean up makes for an easier life. Dr. Elsey’s Ultra Clumping kitty litter forms hard clumps that stay solid. Less mess, less waste. Liquids are trapped in the clump, preventing that sticky residue from forming on the bottom of the litter box.
Powerful Odor Elimination even in small spaces. Without using perfumes, Dr. Elsey’s locks odors tightly inside of each clump. You no longer need to fear your house guests smelling nothing except your 4-legged residents. Scooping your box once or twice per day will offer you best results.
Perfect for multi-cat homes. Even in your most highly trafficked areas, this litter is up to the challenge of keeping your air smelling fresh.
Currently available in both 18 or 40 pound bags ensures a long lasting product to save you money. You may need to purchase a separate litter container, however. The bags can be clumsy to pour out of once opened.
Safe to use even in mechanical boxes, this versatile litter will suit nearly every home and cat.
- All natural 100% pure clay and hypoallergenic! With zero chemicals, dyes, perfumes or other additives, you can rest easy knowing that nothing will harm your kiddo or you. Easily one of the healthiest cat litter choices available today.
- Powerful odor protection. Even in small spaces, this simple litter is effective at getting rid of the smells you’d rather be avoiding in your home.
- Cats tend to love this stuff. This soft cat litter feels good on kitty’s paws and makes her feel more at home in the litter box. Dr. Elsey’s goal was to create a product that both cat parents and their felines loved. It worked!
- Clumps can become too hard, almost like concrete. Sometimes too much of a good thing is not a good thing after all. Be sure to have plenty of litter in the box to prevent clumping on the bottom.
Excellent cat litter, and suitable for almost every cat and litter box.
#2. Best For Multiple Cats Cat Litter: Arm & Hammer Litter Multi-Cat Clump & Seal MicroGuard Fresh Scent Cat Litter
Arm & Hammer created a winner for multiple cat homes when they designed this MicroGuard Clump & Seal litter.
Outstanding Odor Control with MicroGuard technology prevents growth of future bacteria for up to 7 days! Less bacteria equals less urine and feces smell in your home. The well-trusted addition of baking soda in this formula then destroys sealed in odors on contact and it works!
Impressive 100% dust free formula leaves the competition in the dust! If you or your cat are tired of coughing your way through clouds of dust, Arm & Hammer MicroGuard Clump & Seal is a fantastic find.
Extremely low-tracking even though the granules are lighter and finer, making for a softer experience on your cat’s paws. Just one more quality to love about this litter pick. Less cleaning up after your pet is more time you can spend loving on them instead.
Designed for quick and easy clean up, this litter saves you time and money. Clumps form tightly without falling apart. You don’t have to waste your clean litter anymore. Get rid of what you don’t want and keep what you do!
The beauty of Arm & Hammer cat litter is that it does deliver on its promises. Especially when living in a multi-cat home, you need a powerful litter that keeps up with high traffic demand. This litter can do just that.
- Fantastic odor control. This kitty litter delivers on its promise to keep unwanted smells at bay. Since it is designed to hold up to high traffic multi-cat homes, you can rest assured that your litter is working overtime to keep your home smelling clean.
- Money and time saver. Hard clumping formula helps you get rid of waste without wasting clean litter. Clumps stay solid which means you won’t have tiny bits and pieces everywhere in the litter to go searching for!
- Very low tracking formula. Every moment you spend cleaning up after your cat is a moment you can’t spend just enjoying their company. This low tracking formula helps prevent litter being everywhere it’s not supposed to be.
- Lightly scented. This litter has a light, fresh scent. It’s not overpowering or overwhelming but for sensitive noses, that’s something to consider!
- Not classified as all natural/hypoallergenic. Arm & Hammer MicroGuard kitty litter does use plant-derived particles in their formula. For most people and pets, this will cause zero problems. Do keep this in mind however if either you or your cat have a history of allergic reaction to plant based litter products.
Super easy to clean up, which is important if you have multiple cats using the same litter box, plus the fact that you won’t be overpowered by cat pee and poo smells!
Simple, lightweight and powerful. This lightweight litter packs a heavyweight punch! 17 pounds of this formula is equal to 35 pounds of competing litters.
Easy to carry for those with arthritis or back problems – less pain and less stress. Also great for people who live in apartments on higher up floors.
Our elderly mother uses this litter and is able to handle the container without much trouble by herself.
Fight back against the toughest odors with activated charcoal. An included ammonia blocker prevents even the most stubborn ammonia odor for up to two weeks in a single cat household!
Free & Clean is free of harsh dyes, chemicals or scents. Several scented versions are available for those who prefer a more perfumed variety. Whether you choose scented or unscented, this litter does an excellent job of keeping unwanted odors locked inside.
You will love the ease of clean-up. Tidy Cats Free & Clean forms hard clumps that stay solid for easy removal. Less bits and pieces left behind equals more clean with less effort.
Due to the lightweight texture, this litter tends to be dustier than most. We recommend a large, quality litter mat such as this great one from Chewy to help reduce tracking.
- Lightweight formula is great for the elderly or chronic pain sufferers. Roughly 17 pounds of this litter is equal to 35 pounds of traditional clay litter. If you live on a higher floor in an apartment building or have trouble carrying heavy items, this is wonderful news for you!
- Activated charcoal and ammonia blocker make for powerful combination to stop odors before they get out of control in your home.
- Free & Clean version of this litter is free from additives, chemicals and other mess that could make you or kitty sick.
- Lightweight means dusty. Unfortunately, as is the case with most lightweight litters, dust and tracking may be more of an issue. You will need a quality litter mat to help prevent the spread of litter pieces all over your home.
While it is not quite as low dust as others, it is a very good lightweight litter that is easy on the paws and has a very natural formula.
Yesterday’s News is one of the safest cat litters you’ll find. Made from recycled paper products like newspapers, phone books and magazines – your cat and the environment will thank you.
The soft texture of paper cat litter most closely resembles nature for your kitty. In fact, recycled paper litter is what most veterinarians recommend after a declawing surgery due to its gentleness and lack of fine particles to cause infection.
99.7% dust free enables you and your cat to breathe much easier. Not only that but because of its texture, tracking is also kept to a bare minimum. Unless your kitty plays floor hockey with the pellets as some do, you probably won’t notice many tracks!
Eco-friendly recycled paper is 3 times more absorbent than clay when stirred inside of the box. Feel good about your contribution to a better, cleaner earth each time you scoop poop! Who would’ve thunk it?
Frequent box cleaning is essential for odor control. Since this is non-clumping litter, liquids may escape to the bottom of the litter box. Stirring the paper around will absorb excess liquid and prevent overwhelming ammonia urine smells.
Scooping solids as often as possible throughout the day will also be necessary to prevent excess odor.
Completely discarding used litter will be required once every week at a minimum to control wetness and odor. Once this paper litter becomes wet, it will be stinky!
This is not a litter to be used with mechanical/sifting boxes. Most mechanical litter boxes will require a clumping litter for use, but you should check the directions for your specific product.
Overall, this is an earth friendly choice that many cats enjoy. It will require more upkeep but it is all natural in every way with nothing artificial added to irritate you or your kitty kiddo.
For best results, gradually add paper litter to your current type of litter over a period of 2 to 3 weeks.
Doing this gives your cat a chance to adapt to the change in texture on their little paws. Transitioning from one to the other in this way makes kitty less likely to reject the change and relieve themselves somewhere you’d rather they not.
- Completely safe for you and your cat. Yesterday’s News is a wonderful paper cat litter that provides the ultimate in natural litters. You can trust that your kiddo and you aren’t breathing anything harmful. What a win-win!
- Made from recycled newspapers, magazines and phone books – you are doing your part to save the environment from waste.
- 99.7% dust free keeps your floors cleaner longer. Unless your kitty decides to play floor hockey with some of the paper pellets as they like to do – there shouldn’t be a terrible amount of clean up 🙂
- Higher maintenance box clean up duty. You really have to stay on top of cleaning litter boxes with paper based litter to prevent some serious stink! Regular scooping of poo throughout the day will be required. You will also need to stir the paper to absorb all the liquids. Can be a bit messy.
- Odor control could be better. Yeah, you might notice some extra odor using this eco-friendly litter. Liquids will often escape to the bottom of the litter pan which only increases your chances of some unwanted ammonia smell.
An amazing natural product using only paper as the litter source, this is a super eco-friendly option. The only problem is that because it’s not a classic litter formula, you won’t get some of the benefits of odor control and ease of use that comes with using a clay litter.
I don’t know about you, but never did I imagine one of the top rated cat litter choices would be made from grass seed! So Phresh Grass Seed cat litter reviews rave about the unique qualities this all natural litter offers.
Extremely lightweight quality almost made this litter the choice for “best lightweight” as well. 50% less heavy than clay based litter in fact! That’s a big difference you will feel.
Dust is nearly non-existent. No more putting up with clouds of litter dust that threaten your health when you scoop or refill the cat box. Your kitty will no longer be covered in debris when digging to bury kitty business either. Grass seed litter is virtually without dust.
100% biodegradable grass seed makes this one of the most environmentally friendly cat litters available. There’s no need to choose between loving the environment or your favorite (not so eco friendly) cat litter. Now you can have the best of both worlds with performance you rely on.
Excellent clumping saves you money by wasting less litter. Most cat parents mention how they are not having to change out the litter as frequently because of how effective this litter is at clumping. As you know, that means more money in your bank and less flushed down the kitty toilet!
Naturally great at controlling odors without the need for perfumes or other chemical additives. This is a healthier option offering everything you need without the junk you don’t!
- Extremely lightweight. If you’re tired of carrying around super heavy bags or buckets of litter, this just might be an option you’d enjoy. On average, you can expect around 50% less weight when compared to traditional clay based litters. That’s pretty good!
- Extremely environmentally friendly. Made from 100% biodegradable grass seed, you can love your environment and your cat all at the same time. Even though it’s all natural, it’s also effective. Now that’s a winning combo!
- No more breathing in unhealthy litter fumes. Grass seed cat litter is naturally almost completely dust-free. When your cat is burying her kitty business, she doesn’t have to come out covered in the evidence of where she’s been. Both you and your cat will breathe much easier.
- All natural clumping litter. Many natural litters don’t clump and can be fairly messy. One of the beauties of this choice is that it does form easy to remove clumps, helping you to save what’s not dirty. Less effort in less time.
- A little more expensive. The good news? Grass seed litter lasts. A little of this litter can go a fairly long way.
Overall a really good litter, and made even better by the fact that it’s a natural product! It clumps well, it’s very environmentally friendly, and it’s easy to use. Of course you’ll pay more for these benefits since it’s natural, but if you have the room in your budget, this is a great choice.
Do you prefer scented cat litter over unscented, but struggle with strong, artificial perfumes? World’s Best Cat Litter has your perfect solution!
Scented with 100% pure lavender oil, this litter will soothe even the toughest of critics. Allergy sufferers find their match in this litter without suffering allergic reaction.
Lavender oil is powerful and has been used for many purposes. It is soothing, relaxing and balancing. Naturally antibacterial, lavender oil is the perfect companion to cat litter.
Made from renewable, whole-kernel corn, World’s Best is biodegradable and environmentally friendly. This flushable formula is rated as safe for both septic and sewer systems.
Free of the silica dust found in clay litters, this 99% dust-free compressed corn formula eliminates health concerns from breathing litter dust. Breathe deeply and easier knowing this corn litter is safer for your cat and you!
Superior clumping ability locks in odors effectively and makes cleaning up quick and easy.
For those with mechanical litter boxes, you should have no problems using this World’s Best litter. (Please do consult your particular box’s instructions to be sure).
Great for multi-cat homes, this litter is plenty powerful to keep up with your entire household. Currently available in 7, 14 and 28 pound bags, there is a size to fit every need.
Some cat parents have reported their kitty having an allergic reaction to corn (and other plant based products). While most have no problems at all, this is a possibility to consider.
- World’s Best is a trusted and well loved, top rated cat litter. They even offer a money back guarantee if you don’t love it! I don’t know too many cat litter brands who will offer you that kind of assurance in their product. Do you?
- Biodegradable and environmentally friendly. World’s Best litter is flushable if you choose to. Made from whole kernel corn, there’s absolutely nothing added to risk you or your cat’s health. Your planet will love you for it too.
- 100% pure lavender oil added as a natural scent. Lavender oil is wonderful for so many uses. It’s naturally antibacterial properties make it perfect for kitty litter. Most of all, the scent is gentle (and natural) enough that it should not cause an allergic response.
- Some cats are allergic to the corn. Though it is rare, it does and can happen. Typically you will notice itchy, irritated skin if this is a problem with your cat. Thankfully long-term damage is not a concern and you can request a refund through their money back guarantee if it’s not a fit for your needs.
If you want a scent to cover up the urine and feces smells, World’s Best is, well one of the world’s best! Other than the allergy issue, it’s a top notch product and we are pleased to recommend them, especially when they set really high expectations with their brand name.
#7. Best Clumping Cat Litter for Cats Who Have Trouble Using The Box: Dr. Elsey’s Precious Cat Attract Cat Litter
According to Dr. Elsey, non-use of the litter box is the number one reason a cat is abandoned to the shelter or abused.
Trying to prevent pets being abandoned is the # 1 reason our pick for best clumping cat litter is this one. Cat Attract has all the amazing qualities of our best overall cat litter choice from Dr. Elsey, with a few extra bonuses.
Enjoy nearly effortless litter box clean-up duty with this solid clumping, all natural cat litter. Your automatic litter boxes will work perfectly with this clumping litter as well.
Precious Cat Attract has an herbal attractant for retraining cats to use the litter box again.
Trying to understand why your cat does what it does sometimes can be frustrating. When your kitty refuses to use the litter box, it can be destructive and upsetting.
Superior odor control perfect for multi-cat homes makes this litter one to love.
Virtually no dust formula leaves your home and litter box fresh and clean.
The biggest downside to this litter option is the price. It is more expensive than the other litters listed but it is effective.
If getting your cat to use the litter box is an issue in your home, Cat Attract is worth a try.
This cat litter brand is working to keep cats and their owners together in many homes and we hope it works for you too!
- Formulated to bring “problem cats” back to their litter box. If your kitty has taken to going outside of the litter box, this litter might be just what you need. Using an herbal attractant, kitty smells what she likes and goes to it. Since non-use of the litter box is the # 1 reason for cat abandonment, this is a problem worth solving!
- All natural clay litter. Dr. Kelsey’s Precious Cat litter brand is known for making quality litters without all the added junk that is harmful to you and your cat. You can rest easy knowing that you’re keeping your cat safe from harm.
- Great choice for training kittens and multi-cat homes. If you’ve recently added a new bundle of joy to your home and need to train him/her where to go potty, this litter has you covered. It’s also perfectly powerful enough for multi-cat homes too!
- Can be pricey. Overall, this litter does cost more than your standard litters do. If you factor in the cost of destruction to your property from kitty not using the litter box however, it’s probably much less expensive. Plus, if it keeps you and your little one together – isn’t it worth it?
- Cat Attract not considered hypoallergenic. Due to the herbal attractant, this litter can not be considered fully hypoallergenic.
This is a really unique product that should help you if your cat is urinating outside of her litter box. If your litter set up is not ideal, or if your cat has some issues with using the box due to stress or lifestyle changes, then this can be a fantastic way of coaxing her to use the box without having to go through a rigorous training regime.
#8. Best Silica Gel/Crystal Cat Litter: Frisco Crystal Summer Clean Scent Multi Cat Non-Clumping Cat Litter
Frisco is a great brand of cat litter. Sold exclusively at Chewy.com, we have used it in our home with great success.
Superior odor blocking using crystals with tiny pores that absorb liquids and odors on contact. On average, you can expect to see odor control results about 5 times better than non-clumping clay litter when used correctly.
Simply stir the crystals to activate odor blocking and scoop out any solid waste. As with all crystal based litters, regular scooping of solids and stirring of liquids daily is required to reduce unwanted smells.
Long lasting crystals save your hard-earned money. A single cat home could use as little as 1 bag per month with regular cleaning.
Even when multiple cats run your household – this Frisco crystal litter with fresh, clean scent is up to the challenge.
Low dust and low tracking keep your cat’s paws and your floors cleaner when compared to other clay based litters.
Over 90% of cat parents who use this Frisco crystal litter say they would recommend it to their friends and loved ones. I’d say that’s two paws up for this litter pick!
Silica gel is not biodegradable and cannot be flushed, washed or otherwise disposed of anywhere except the trash.
If you are looking for a non-clumping litter and non clay cat litter, this choice may be exactly what you’re searching for.
Do however be prepared to stay on top of litter box maintenance to control odors more so than clay based scoopable litters.
- Crystals have tiny pores that absorb odors and liquid on contact. You will need to stir the crystals as often as possible to activate the absorption but they do work. The light, fresh scent helps keep troublesome odors at bay.
- One bag in a single cat home could last a month! Durable and long-lasting, silica gel litter can save you money in the long run when compared to clay litters. Maintaining the litter box multiple times per day will be required, however.
- Perfect alternative to clumping litters. If you simply do not care for clumping litters and haven’t found your match with clay based non-clumping litter, try this Frisco crystal litter. Good odor control helps make this choice a great one.
- High maintenance clean-up. Ideally, to prevent stinky overload, you’ll need to scoop multiple times per day. You remove the solids after each go and then stir the crystals to activate the liquid absorption. If you are not home very often, this is probably not a great choice for you.
- Not biodegradable. You can not wash, flush or dispose of this litter except for in a trash bag.
Crystal litter can have a lot of benefits, and is a totally different experience compared to scooping litter. However, you have to remember to stir it, ensure it’s always filled up enough to absorb the urine, and of course it less environmentally friendly than others. It can be great and actually cost effective, but you have to really keep on top of scooping and stirring.
Things To Consider When Purchasing Litter
Overall, the most common concerns when choosing the best cat litter for your home are how well it controls odors, is it affordable for you and will your cat find it appealing to use?
You will also want to consider whether you prefer the convenience of a clumping litter or the more natural approach of a non-clumping variety.
Your individual needs will vary. For example: If you are allergic to scents, you’ll want to buy an unscented cat litter.
More often than not, humans and cats alike do best without the added, heavy perfumes many litters use.
Safety first. If your cat has allergies, certain chemical additives could cause hair loss or respiratory distress. What works for one may not work for another home.
Even though you have an ideal set of criteria for the best kitty litter, so does your cat.
It’s important to take notice of what your furry friend prefers. Watching their behavior at potty time will give you an idea of whether or not the litter is a fit.
Keep in mind that any litter changes are best done gradually. Sudden changes to the texture your cat feels on her paws may lead to nonuse of the litter box. (Yikes!) Give them a chance to adjust and you’ll be thankful you did.
Importance of Litter Box Maintenance
No matter which litter you choose, remember that regular litter box cleaning is a must. Scooping each box a minimum of once per day should keep kitty happy.
Think of it this way: If you walk into a restroom and it’s nasty – what’s your reaction? Do you walk right back out? Our finicky felines are no different! We like a clean toilet and so do they.
If there are multiple cats in your home, we recommend having 1 box per cat, with 1 extra ideally. This rule of thumb will lower the chances of territorial potty behavior that creates a big mess for you.
Pets who enter their litter boxes and find them dissatisfactory are much more likely to go potty on something you value! Avoid that catastrophe by providing clean litter you and your cat agree on.
If your kitty companion is refusing to use the litter pan, please do consider a visit to the Veterinarian. Your cat may be suffering from a medical condition.
It’s important to know the reason behind behavioral issues. Happiness for both you and your cat could be a simple solution away.
Some Other Great Options…
As the world of cat litter creation expands, more options than ever become available.
We know that each individual and their cat is unique. That’s why we are covering some excellent additional options for your consideration.
The following recommendations didn’t quite crack our “best of the best” list, but they are all fairly good, and some of them fit a very specific need. We’ve also covered PrettyLitter in it’s own review, so check it out if you want to learn more about the benefits of it’s color changing litter granules.
Each of these awesome litters will soon have their own feature page here on Catological. Stay tuned for more!
Frisco litter has an impressive blend of qualities and excels in all of the areas you need for kitty litter to perform well.
This litter is extremely low tracking. We use this in our home and have nearly no litter pieces where they don’t belong. While 100% track free is impossible to find, I’ve been highly impressed by the lack of tracking Frisco creates.
When filling the pan with litter, there is no cloud of dust looming in the air. You and your cat can breathe easier knowing your health is not at risk.
When you or your cat suffer from allergies, this litter choice may be exactly what you are searching for. Unscented for the most sensitive of noses but extremely tough on odor!
Frisco is affordable and effective. It’s a quality litter worth recommending! In fact, over 90% of cat parents on Chewy do! Our cat loves it!
The Best HypoAllergenic Cat Litter for Allergies: Boxiecat Scent Free Premium Clumping Clay Cat Litter
If you’re not familiar with Boxiecat, now might be a good time to try this one out. Boxiecat is an award winning cat litter brand that veterinarians are not shy to recommend.
100% all natural clumping clay gives you everything you need and leaves out what you don’t. Allergy sufferers will be pleased to know that this litter choice will not cause them or their cat discomfort.
When litter tracking is driving you nuts, Boxiecat just might come to your rescue. Its 99.9% dust free formula keeps kitty litter where it belongs. Not all over your floor!
Boxiecat is safe, natural and uses no bleach, dyes or fillers. You can rest easy knowing that you are giving your cat the very best.
As a huge bonus – Boxiecat is family owned and operated. They also believe in giving back to to support shelters and rescues nationwide. Now that’s a worthy cause!
Are you searching for an Earth-friendly litter that actually works? This one might suit your fancy.
99.9% natural gives you peace of mind that you’re taking care of your planet and your cat companion.
Made from cedar, pine and corn, this natural litter is ready to fight some seriously tough odors!
While it is considered a clumping litter, it won’t clump quite the way you’re used to with clay litters.
However, compared to other natural kitty litters offering no clumping at all, you may be happy to find that this choice does.
Nature is at its finest in this litter. Overall, its low tracking, odor fighting and clumping power make this litter a great choice, even for multiple cat homes.
Some kitties find the texture of this litter off putting so do keep that in mind when making your purchase. If your pet is highly sensitive to litter texture, this may not be your best fit.
I don’t know about you, but have you heard all the amazing benefits of coconut? The list seems endless! For pet and human health, coconut is a miracle food.
Well guess what? Turns out that 100% coconut also makes a great cat litter!
Coconut is naturally excellent at controlling odors and is highly absorbent.
CatSpot is a bit more high maintenance as a litter choice. You will need to regularly scoop out any solids and stir the coconut for it to absorb liquid, just as you would with crystal litter.
It is extremely lightweight which unfortunately does tend to mean more tracking litter through your home. A litter pan with high sides and a large, quality litter mat may help solve that issue though.
Overall, if you’re looking for completely organic, biodegradable and non-clay based litter, CatSpot might be one to try.
Arm & Hammer is a trusted name in the kitty litter world for good reason.
The clumping action on this brand is solid as a rock. Even in homes that have lots of kitties, this litter will perform well.
I’ve seen this litter work its magic in an 8 cat household. It does what it claims! The clumps lock in odors impressively and make for very easy clean up.
Arm & Hammer’s classic baking soda addition ensures that smells stay where they belong, in the box. No more house guests pinching their nose!
This all natural, compressed corn formula eliminates unwanted dust in the litter box and your home!
What’s even better? World’s Best Cat Litter is environmentally friendly and flushable if you should choose to!
World’s Best corn litter comes in a variety of scents (or unscented) to suit any kitty or parent. There’s a reason so many people have fallen in love with this litter option.
If you’ve got some heavy-duty stinkers in your house (we do too!), then you might need a little extra power.
Fresh Step extreme odor control uses the fresh scent of Febreze to freshen your home. If you are someone who is sensitive to scents, this litter option is probably not for you.
Dustier than many clay based options, you will likely need a litter mat to reduce tracking in your home.
If strong odor prevention is what you need though – Fresh Step with Febreze might be for you. Stinky be gone!
Pair it with one of our top rated litter boxes for odor control and you’re completely covered.
The Best Natural Cat Litter Runner Up: Naturally Fresh Walnut-Based Ultra Odor Control Multi-Cat Quick-Clumping Cat Litter
Natural cat litter doesn’t have to be weak or ineffective.
This all natural kitty litter made from the fibrous materials found in walnut shells gives powerful odor control in a totally earth friendly litter.
Naturally Fresh was formulated not to stick to your kitty’s paws which results in less tracking through your home. And because it’s virtually free of dust, it is safe for your cat and you!
If powerful cat litter and natural aren’t two things you think of at the same time, try Naturally Fresh litter. It just might change your mind.
Nearly Endless Options!
As you can see, there is a cat litter to fit every lifestyle and every home.
The top rated cat litters featured here are our picks because they have worked for us and others in search of the perfect cat litter.
We hope these cat litter comparisons have helped you determine what the best cat litter for you and your home is.
Most of all, we wish you and your kitties nothing but absolute health & happiness! Give them a big hug for us!
If you have any questions that we here at Catological might be able to answer for you, please contact us here.
Thank you for taking the time to read our article. We look forward to seeing you again!
Last Updated on